The West Bend Theatre Company is calling for cast members for an ‘80’s rendition of Shakespeare’s romantic comedy, Much Ado About Nothing, which plays August 23-26, 2018 and features sing and dance.
Use the Buttons Below to Register for Auditions
Shakespeare's best loved comedy has been glamified for the 1980's by director Adam Czaplewski. This delightful romp includes music from Heart, Billy Idol, Cyndi Lauper & others, and choreography by Lori Woodall. Proceeds benefit Concordia University Wisconsin Theatre programs.
We are seeking volunteer actors for 12 men, 4 women, and a dance ensemble, ranging in ages from ‘teens - 50’s. Some roles may involve singing or dancing. View the Character List below.
West Bend Masonic Center - 301 North University Drive West Bend - Just Off Highway 33
Map and Sign-Up links available on the Events page
Seeking More Details? Please Reach Out Using E-Mail - Info@wbtheatreco.com
About Nothing occurs during a visit by Don Pedro, and his entourage at Leonato's club.
It is a comic romance between Leonato's daughter, Hero (a young woman), and Claudio: Claudio loves Hero and Hero loves Claudio. It seems nothing can tear them apart. Beatrice (Hero's cousin) and Benedick both love and despise each other. It seems nothing can bring their love together.
Don Pedro, helps Claudio propose marriage, with some momentary confusion about who the suitor is — Don Pedro or Claudio.
The self-proclaimed villain, Don John, is eager to get back at his brother and Claudio and contrives a malicious plot to lead Claudio into believing that he has witnessed Hero in a compromising situation on the night before her wedding day.
Meanwhile, Dogberry (a comically bumbling police chief) and his men on night watch stumble on the plot by Don John and Borachio.
· Benedick (Male, [singing], comic, dramatic; 20s-30s) – A friend of Don Pedro and Claudio, Benedick is very witty, always making jokes and puns. Having former relations with Beatrice, he failed to commit, creating her emotional defense; he is loyal and wants to believe that she still loves him.
· Claudio (Male, comic, dramatic; 20s) - A young friend of Don Pedro, Claudio loves Hero. He seems immature and gullible, and will not accept a 'tarnished' bride.
· Don Pedro (Male, comic, dramatic; 30s-50s; [no dancing]) - A longtime friend of Leonato, Hero’s father, and is also close to Benedick and Claudio. Don Pedro is loving, intelligent, and controlling, but becomes a victim of circumstance.
· Leonato (Male, comic, dramatic; 40s-50s; [no dancing]) – Club owner and host to Don Pedro and entourage, Leonato is a central character to the plot. A respected man, he is father of Hero and uncle and guardian to Beatrice.
· Don John (Male, dramatic; 20s-30s) - The illegitimate brother of Don Pedro. Don John is melancholy and sullen by nature, and he creates a dark scheme to ruin the happiness of Hero and Claudio, motivated by his envy of his brother’s family position and wealth.
· Borachio (Male, dramatic; 20s-30s) - An associate of Don John. Borachio is the lover of Margaret. He conspires with Don John to deceive Claudio and Don Pedro into thinking that Hero is unfaithful to Claudio. His name means “drunkard” in Italian, but he really is mischievous and selfish. He later realizes that his tricks went too far.
· Conrade (Male,20s-30s) - One of Don John’s more intimate associates, entirely devoted to Don John.
· Dogberry (Male, comic; 20s-40s; [no dancing])- The chief of police is sincere and takes his job seriously, he has a habit of using exactly the wrong word to convey his meaning. His pride and his wit suggest that some of his actions and expressions may be intentionally ambiguous and provocative.
· Verges (Male, comic; 20s-40s; [no dancing])- The deputy to Dogberry.
· Antonio - Leonato’s elderly brother and Hero's uncle. He is Beatrice’s father.
· Balthasar (Male, [singing], teens-20s) - A friend to Leonato and a singer.
· Friar Francis (Male,50s-60s, [no dancing]) - man of the cloth; loving, kind, wise
· First Watchman (Male, teens-20s) - officer under Dogberry and Verges
· Second Watchman (Male, teens-20s) - officer under Dogberry and Verges
· Beatrice (Female, comic, dramatic; 20s-30s) - Leonato’s niece and Hero’s cousin and protector. Beatrice is pleasant and outspoken. She is generous and loving, but as part of her defense system is also witty and sarcastic.
· Hero (Female, comic, 20s)- The pretty daughter of Leonato is intended to Claudio and the cousin of Beatrice. Hero is lovely, gentle, and kind. Obedient, and naive, she becomes the unwitting victim of Don John's plot to cause mischief for Don Pedro and Claudio
· Margaret (Female, comic; 20s-30s)- Hero’s friend, who unwittingly helps her lover, Borachio and Don John deceive Claudio into thinking that Hero is unfaithful.
· Ursula (Female, comic; 20s-30s)- One of Hero’s friends.
· Dance Ensemble